Barbara Bush, the wife of President George H.W. Bush, helped the National Association of Realtors be famous for their marketing campaigns in the 1980s focused on real estate. She has also led a team that helped create some of the best TV commercials in history.
She was a world-renowned humanist author and speaker known for her inspirational message that “life is what you make it.” So if you need inspiration, Barbara Bush is the perfect person to turn to.
She was known as a public speaker and an advocate for helping people with their problems.
Here are her most inspiring quotes that will describe her strong opinions and values that make her such a beloved first lady.
25 Inspirational Barbara Bush Quotes
1. “Never ask anyone over 70 how they feel. They’ll tell you.” ― Barbara Bush
2. “To us, family means putting your arms around each other and being there.” ― Barbara Bush
3. “Get involved in the big ideas of your time.” ― Barbara Bush
4. “Value your friendships. Value your relationships.” ― Barbara Bush
5. “My worst expectations never happened.” ― Barbara Bush
6. “Family and friends and faith are the most important things in your life and you should be building friendships.” ― Barbara Bush
7. “You know sit with your arm around a little kid and read. It not only teaches them to read but it keeps the family strong.” ― Barbara Bush
8. “You have to love your children unselfishly. That’s hard. But it’s the only way.” ― Barbara Bush
9. “Your success as a family… our success as a nation… depends not on what happens inside the White House, but on what happens inside your house.” ― Barbara Bush
10. “Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people.” ― Barbara Bush
11. “It was the dumbest thing I had every seen, but it’s a family thing, and I guess it’s clean.” ― Barbara Bush
12. “As important as your obligations as a doctor, lawyer or business leader will be, you are a human being first.” ― Barbara Bush
13. “Life has changed enormously, and I hope—I hope more people read good things.” ― Barbara Bush
14. “When you come to a roadblock, take a detour.” ― Barbara Bush
15. “Some people give time, some money, some their skills and connections, some literally give their life’s blood. But everyone has something to give.” ― Barbara Bush
16. “You have two choices in life: you can like what you do, or you can dislike it. I have chosen to like it.” ― Barbara Bush
17. “The winner of the hoop race will be the first to realize her dream, not society’s dream, her own personal dream.” ― Barbara Bush
18. “I think togetherness is a very important ingredient to family life.” ― Barbara Bush
19. “Bias has to be taught. If you hear your parents downgrading women or people of different backgrounds, why, you are going to do that.” ― Barbara Bush
20. “Everything I worry about would be better if more people could read, write, and comprehend.” ― Barbara Bush
21. “If human beings are perceived as potentials rather than problems, as possessing strengths instead of weaknesses, as unlimited rather than dull and unresponsive, then they thrive and grow to their capabilities.” ― Barbara Bush
22. “You don’t just luck into things as much as you’d like to think you do. You build step by step, whether it’s friendships or opportunities.” ― Barbara Bush
23. “Believe in something larger than yourself.” ― Barbara Bush
24. “At the end of your life you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict, or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child or a parent.” ― Barbara Bush
25. “People who worry about their hair all the time, frankly, are boring.” ― Barbara Bush